This feels like a suggestion that's been made before, but just in case...
Has ACC considered offering a user name change to, ahem, "generous" donators? I don't blame the staff for not wanting to change user names left and right, even for hundreds of dollars, but rolling this out with a limit of sorts could be really cool. I bet some users who have been logging on for well over 10 years would gladly give $100 to one of their favorite sites so they can ditch the embarrassing user name they picked when they were 12. xD
If you wanna play Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled with me sometime,
i actually cant think of anyone who would want to give a dying website 100 dollars just to have a different username anyone whos been on this site for that long has responsibilities now and probably isnt willing to give up that much money for just a un change
why does changing your username even matter that much if its going to cost money on a dead website its not going to get more active, animal crossing isnt as popular as it was before and i can't see it ever getting to that point again
ACC is dying. Nobody is arguing that. We still want username changes. lol
I find it hard to believe you can't come up with a reason to want a username change and/or to be willing to spend money on it on ACC. There are still people who use ACC daily. There are people who can't/won't multi. There are people with money. There are plenty of people who dislike their username enough, especially considering username changes are easily one of the most requested features on ACC since the beginning of time.
Unless you're genuinely asking, you're not going to get anywhere trying to argue what's largely a personal choice.
LGBTQ+ and Supporters PT (PT to join)
Ask me for free villagers
Well I think its fair to say these people would pay 100 dollars for it. A lot of older users created their account at younger ages, and many of them have matured and changed. It makes sense why they would want to change their name, no matter what the cost. Its like this: Say your name is Vickey, but you get it changed to Serena. You wouldn`t want people to call you Vickey, because that's not your name anymore. But that's all I`m gonna say. I dont wanna start no arguments
just a qwirky boi in a qwirky world
Gonna quote Cano's link cuz judging by most of the posts here it looks like nobody read it:
"Allowing username changes has been suggested multiple times on the Site Suggestions board for many years. It isn't possible to find all the information on what was proposed previously, but the newest suggestion in 2012 appeared to be along the same lines as previous suggestions. Username changes had been denied for many years on the basis that a shift in policy would mean a lot of work for Modmins who are the only ones that can change usernames. It could well be that the feature wasn't allowed previously because Modmins regularly faced 400-600+ tickets on any given day, and therefore username change requests would not have been feasible with the sheer amount of work already in queue on the UT Dashboard.
When Members brought up the request again, on the Site Suggestions board in 2012, the discussion was taken to the Modmin board because Members and Staff alike were talking of a policy change rather than an actual feature. However, jader201 was asked to give his thoughts on the subject and, being a Developer himself, was able to come up with a much cleaner system which involved coding a name change feature that worked from the profile. Given an entirely new way of allowing name changes made it much easier for Modmins to continue the discussion positively and arrive at an almost complete outline of the feature.
When the outline was taken to the FD, GoldenCelebi completed the idea by pointing out that many people use a touch screen device and therefore certain aspects of the feature had to be compatible for those users.
Here are a few aspects that this feature will likely have, subject to successful testing:
• Members can change their own usernames from their profile.
• Any name change will automatically create a UL entry. (May not occur)
• In the profile there will be a history of previous usernames and dates they were used.
• When a member is reported and a ticket sent into the UT Dashboard, a history of all previous usernames and dates used will be viewable to Modmins upon opening a ticket to process.
• On posts, there will be an indicator (possibly a question mark) in front of a new username to show that the member recently changed their name. This indicator would show up for three months. This indicator will not be present for new members who will have the new member icon as they do now.
• Alongside the indicator to show a name change, when hovering over the username the previous name/s would show. There would also be a pop up for those using touchscreen devices who can't use the hover. The hover and pop-up would show to all members for 3 months - same time as the indicator appears. For Modmins the information will be available permanently.
• The indicator would appear for everyone for 3 months, but after the system has been active for a while this 3 month period will be reviewed. It may be shortened or extended.
• Username changes will be allowed once a year.
• Name changes will be initially restricted to 3 in total but this can be reviewed at a later time.
• When changing a username, the one that is no longer being used remains attached to the original account and cannot be used by a different member. However, it can be used again by the original owner of the username.
• Reverting back to an old username would be part of the ''one a year'' allowance of changing usernames and three username changes allowed overall.
• If we later have issues with running out of usernames, we could look into allowing more than 15 characters for a username.
• Only a certain amount of names can be changed in a day. This is still very much a Community and having 700 people change their name in one day would be chaotic.
• None of the above changes should affect the current Modmin ability to change a username if we find it inappropriate for ACC."
TL;DR, username changes will be free and can be done once a year, up to three times unless the Staff decide to increase the max.