10/22/2014 3:48:00 PM
......And why the Bell Shop really is coming.
Until now, ideas for the Bell Shop have been suggested either by Staff and members of the Community, but in all cases the major discussion has taken part on Staff Boards. Since the Bell Shop is for everyone I felt it extremely important to have members of the Community more heavily involved in helping to discuss, structure, and finalise existing ideas, as well as propose new ones. For this reason a Special Projects Board was added in the previous major update in the Summer.
On that board various Staff groups and specially invited members of the Community will take part in bringing everyone a Bell Shop. While this opens it up to others in the community that are non-staff, I did want to continue keeping the discussions focused, which is why this board was created, and why we have recruited a small set of community members that were awesome enough to spend time talking to us about their thoughts on the Bell Shop.
I'm pleased to announce that the members who've agreed to join the Special Projects Team for the Bell Shop project are:
In addition, the following people will be joining us in other roles.Developers
- cloudsofsand, Dring and magiicatMods
- ACWWFreakazoid, Amrasje and Da ninja piggyResearchers
- GavinGoneGlobal and ThelockmanScouts
- PuzzlerBird and supersonic55
Please congratulate and welcome them all in this thread
10/22/2014 2:16:51 PM
An update on future releases.....
Having spent the last few months making multiple updates I've now created a system where Devs can deploy a smaller number of changes quickly and individually so that we no longer work off a long list, nor do we need to wait for multiple Devs to be available together for a mass update. The Bell Shop will be the first large project that benefits from this system. Over the next few weeks, updates will be deployed for the Bell Shop that will set up the basic structure. Ensuring that the basics are live before creating a usable Bell Shop for the members will ensure that there will be fewer, if any, user issues once it is operational.
One of the first background updates that will go live will be the set up for buying Bucks. The Bell Shop (which isn't its final name) will contain items that can be acquired either through Bells and also contain items that can be acquired exclusively with Bucks. Bells are obtained by clicking on the Bell Ads around the site, whereas Bucks are purchased and will replace the current Donation system. Those who've already donated will keep their perks until expiration of their donation or will have their donations transferred to a Buck amount to allow them to purchase their perks again (will know more which route we take based on complexity of implementing either).
Another change that is taking place is the numbering of the updates. Until now we've made you aware of major updates which were called 001, 001b, 002 and 002b. However, this doesn't truly represent the work that has been submitted and the minor fixes that occur after every release. In reality there have been more updates released. We have therefore decided to adopt a different versioning system and are retrofitting previous releases into the versioning updates released.
Beginning with our next release, we will start from 1.6.0. Patches will increment the last number, while a minor release will increment the middle number. A major release (usually a site-wide overhaul -- these happen very rarely) will increment the first number.
For announcements on patches we will use the ACC Noticeboard
, and use the Announcements Board to inform you of minor and major releases.
9/26/2014 8:54:52 AM
Animal Crossing: New Leaf @ eShop for $19.99
For those that still don't have copy of AC:New Leaf, or if you want an eShop copy, now's your chance. Nintendo has just reduced its price as part of their ongoing Super Smashing Sales leading up to the Super Smash Bros. 3DS launch.
You can get it here
7/16/2014 3:09:49 AM
Release 002b is Live!
After a lot of hard work by our development team and the rest of the staff, we have launched Release 002b! There are a lot of changes in this release, some small, some big, and all super awesome. For those curious, this release amounted to a whopping total of 4235 files changed (across 293 commits)!
So without further adieu, here is the complete list of changes:
(Note: as always, if you have any questions or run into issues, please post them on the Site Support sticky
• ACC Noticeboard - Responses
- Fix issue where members can't respond to notices that accept responses.
• ACC Noticeboard - Text
- Change information on ACC Noticeboard to detail how to subscribe to and block notices.
• Application Forms
- Increase characters allowed in applications from 8,000 to 12,000.
• April's Fools - 2015
- April Fool's features for 2015.
• Avatars - Conversion
- Convert from gif to png.
• Avatars - Festive
- Festive avatars for Community.
• Avatars - Halloween
- Halloween avatars for Community.
- Fix mislabelled avatars and avatar backgrounds.
• Boards - FanFic
- Change to a Creative Writing board where game diaries can also be posted.
• Boards - General AC
- Remove lesser used boards such as Town Tunes, Character Discussions and Patterns. Replace with a General AC board where all general AC topics can be discussed, including future AC games.
• Boards - New Leaf Trading
- Replace single board with two trading boards for New Leaf. One for villager trading and one for item trading.
• Boards - Special Projects
- Add in a non-Staff board where specially invited members will be able to help define future features for ACC. This is related to what was announced earlier in the year that we would be asking some of the Community to help further with Bell Shop discussions.
• Bugs & Fixes
- 9 x major issues fixed.
• Character Admin - Personalities
- Add new personalities for NL villagers.
• Friend Codes - Consoles
- Add in other consoles to Friend Code pages.
• Friend Codes - Deleted Characters
- Ensure deleted characters are removed from the Wifi page.
• Guide: CF - Fishing Information
- Correct info on CF Fishing Guide static page.
• Guide: GC - Bugs
- Add Bug guide.
• Guide: GC - Fish
- Add Fish guide.
• Guide: NL - Faces
- Add guide to show how to obtain desired faces for new characters.
• Guide: NL - Hybrids
- Add Hybrid guide.
• Guide: NL - Island Tours
- Add mini-guide for island games.
• Guide: NL - Town Ordinances
- Add mini guide about Town Ordinances.
• Guides - Pictures
- Fix error causing all images to be broken in the GC, WW and CF item guides due to CDN changes.
• Home Page - CF Info
- Correct CF info on home page which shows CF as the latest AC release.
• Home Page - Events Calendar
- Fix bug preventing New Leaf info from appearing in the Events Calendar.
• Home Page - Wifi Info
- Remove mention of Wifi on Home Page for CF and WW.
• Item Admin - Categories
- Add in new categories to the Admin page so that NL items can be added correctly.
• Item Admin - Pictures for WW
- Add in a category for pictures in the WW catalogue. Currently the pictures are in Miscellaneous and actual miscellaneous items are missing.
• Item Admin - Themes
- Fix issue where new themes can't be added to Item Admin (and therefore the item catalog).
• Left Margin - Birthdays
- Show Birthday candle on a Buddy List and Staff List.
• Left Margin - Buddy/Wifi
- The Wifi & Buddy Lists have minimise/expand buttons which take you to other pages. The buttons will now just minimise or expand the lists but the headings will take you to the wifi or buddy pages.
• Left Margin - Staff
- Add a Staff List below the Buddy List so that members can easily see which Staff are online and don't need to use their Buddy List capacity to add Staff members. List can be expanded or minimised.
• Logging In - Issue
- Fix log in issues. (already live)
• My Catalog - NL
Categories are showing in one column instead of four columns, thus stretching the page.
• My Characters - Bed Location
- Remove bed location for CF and NL towns.
• My Towns - Bulletin Board
- Amend typo on Bulletin Board.
• My Towns - Fruit Glitch
- Fix glitch where Museum page info is wiped out by adding town fruit info.
• My Towns - Maps
- Add CF Maps.
• My Towns - Museum
- Fix Museum page for CF and NL.
• My Towns - New Leaf
- Revamp the page.
• Pattern GIFs
- Generate pattern GIFs using ASP.
• Pattern Maker - Submissions
- Fix issue with submitting patterns. (already live)
• Posting - Images
- Allow posting of ACC icons.
• Profile - Birthday
- Age in profile increases the day before a birthday. Change this so that age changes on the day of a birthday.
• Profile - Countries List
- Fix errors in countries list in profile.
• Staff Fixes
- 10 x fixes/amendments for Staff tools/views.
• Unix-Style Line Feeds
- Check for Unix-style line feeds.
• User Ticket - Submissions
- Amend typo shown when submitting user tickets.
• Wifi - Ratings
- Fix issue where members are unable to leave Wifi ratings when using a 3DS.
Additionall, we are making the following change to our ToS:
Rule 2.5 Bumping Threads and Rule 2.13 - Duplicate Threads/Posts have both been removed. Instead, Rule 1.6 for Spamming has been updated and will cover the two rules that were removed. The new wording for the Spamming rule is as follows:
"It will be considered Spamming if you: make posts that are unrelated to the board or thread topic; post nonsense comments on any thread; post nonsense threads on any board; respond to spam/nonsense threads; stretch the page horizontally or vertically; post several characters or emotes without any meaningful comments and not for the purpose of artwork; intentionally post multiple copies of the same thread on the same board; post only the word ''bump'' to bump a thread; or repeatedly post on a topic if the post does not add anything of value to the thread. While we understand that certain threads require multiple posts because of the nature of the boards, such as the WiFi Lobby, Trading, Forum Games, Contests, Giveaways, and Shops and Services, excessive posting that adds no value or meaning to the thread will be considered spamming. Keeping all of the above in mind, each thread owner is allowed to constructively bump their thread once an hour. Be sure to check for and review any board specific rules that may alter this time table for allowed thread bumps."
7/15/2014 9:37:44 PM
Unexpected and Unpredictable Outages
A quick heads-up, I'm working on automating our release process for the next release (tonight or tomorrow, depending on how many problems I run into).
What does this mean?
The site may come down for short-to-long-ish periods without warning. So please bear with us tonight as we get this process in place. It'll be worth it in the long run!